RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, November 11, 2021

RA for All Virtual Roadshow Visits Lower Merion [PA] Library System

Today I am visiting the Lower Merion Libraries in PA, near Philly, to provide the afternoon sessions for their staff day. They have about 70 employees who will be participating in different ways-- in person in the same room, in small groups around the same computer, and even alone from home.

I am sharing these details because I think it is great that they are making an effort to allow for safety as they gather for learning. One of the things I talk about in my general RA training [which they are getting] is that when push came to shove and our buildings were closed, we all had to figure out how to meet, work, and serve patrons in a virtual environment and now, we can never go back to the time when we said this was not possible.

It is nice to see a library living in this new world, one that I argue is better for both staff and patrons. But back to today's schedule. 

I will be appearing virtually for 2 afternoon sessions geared toward all staff.

First, the 90 minute, highly interactive general RA training-- Flip the Script and Think Like a Reader. This program is the most fun you can have while still learning and bonding as a team. Seriously. I am not bragging, it is true. Why? Because for 3/4 of this program every staff member is focusing on themselves as readers. And all of us library workers know that while others think all we do is read, we rarely have a chance to read at work, let alone focus on what we like to read and why. But in this program, that is where we begin, with yourself as a reader. From there I bring you to working together and serving patrons better.

This program has slides but most of it is simply a recreation of my permanent Ten Rules of Basic RA Service page which you can find here.

After a 15 minute break, I will be presenting my Actively Anti-Racist Service to Leisure Readers program. This is without Robin Bradford [reminder, she is only available 1x a month], but I do as much as I can to give some of her information [with credit to her] in this program. 

I am excited to interact with Lower Merion Library System today, to help them bond as a team, and to pass on the joy of service to leisure readers through the local public library.

I am currently booking 2022 training programs both virtual and in-person. Click here to contact me, or here to see my recent and upcoming clients and programs

No comments: