RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Resource Alert: Audiobooks

Readers of this blog know I am a big audiobook fan. As an audiobook lover, I understand that when you help listeners you also need to consider the format when matching audiobooks with readers. A book's enjoyment can be both helped and hindered by listening to it, and which it is, depends on the reader and how the book is presented on audio.

So, how do you know if an audiobook will work for a specific reader? You need to identify the correct resources, resources that give you the information to understand how the book is narrated. 

Today I wanted to provide an update list of my favorite audiobook resources for helping readers. I just finished two excellent audiobooks and I realized I haven't posted about resources for the format in a while.

But also, don't forget that I have over 120 posts tagged "audio books" here on RA for All. Some of those are about resources and audio RA but the vast majority are tags attached to books I have read in audio, reviews in which I make sure to note how the format and narration enhanced the book or not. 

And just in case you didn't figure it out, I am saying it explicitly-- Audiobooks are reading. Period. End of Discussion. You want to do this RA thing at a library, you need to accept it and move on. 

Becky's Annotated List of Favorite RA Audiobook Resources:

  • Audiofile: This is my first stop for all things audio. There are reviews and articles about audiobooks. But the very best thing about this resource is their archive of narrators. You can look up any narrator, read a profile on many, see a linked list of the books they have narrated [across genre, age level, etc], and listen to examples of their narration. Invaluable. 
  • Audible: I have feelings about this service and they are no positive, but as a resource, there is a lot of information there. Reviews by readers are audio format specific and there are many ways to do one-click searches by genre or narrator.
  • Booklist Magazine: Obviously I work for them, but I do not do audio reviews. My friend Heather Booth edits them though. Besides the reviews, her overall format coverage is EXCELLENT. Every single month there is at least one spotlight article on audiobooks to go with the issue's spotlight. And it is for every age group of reader. Click here to access Booth's audiobook articles.
  • NoveList: If you have access to the database, they have audio specific entries for many of the titles. 
Now go forth and help others discover a great read for their ears. 

No comments: