RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Resource Alert: BuzzFeed Books for Conversation Starters

I normally avoid BuzzFeed, mostly because it is too much for me-- too busy, too much information, too distracting. But, recently, I was reminded that they have a useful 2x a week "Books" newsletter. [Honestly, I cannot remember where I heard about it most recently, but I think it was a podcast.]

I subscribed, and so far, I have been glad I did. You can click here for their books coverage, but I wanted to point out a few of the articles and lists which I found the most useful in the past month or so:

What these lists all have in common is that they are about starting conversations about books and reading. Yes they post a bunch of lists like everyone else, but they also balance it with these great ideas. You can use BuzzFeed books to help you get started with more interactive displays and RA service. They give you an eye-catching talking point and the books to start the display or list. Then you just have to run with it. 

If nothing else, BuzzFeed books coverage reminds us that people love to talk about books as much as they love to read them. We often forget this as we work in the library. Our patrons want a chance to TALK about the books they love, the books they are excited about, the books they found fascinating. We are the perfect place for them to do this talking, and yet, too many libraries don't encourage this type of sharing, this dialog, this relationship building.

The excuse is often that it is too hard and we don't have enough time. Well, subscribe to the BuzzFeed Books Newsletter and I just countered your excuse.

No comments: