RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Big Five Imprints Infographic

Whether you realize it or not, much of what we do in libraries is inexorably tied to the Big 5 publishers, and specifically to the fact that the vast majority of books in our collections are published by only 5 companies. 

Because these publishers have dozens of imprints, it is easy to forget that it all boils down to 5 and only 5. Yes we collect items by others presses, but it is pocket change in comparison.

I know many of you know this, but how many of you have sat down and really thought about it. Probably none of you. Heck, I barely give this the brain space I should. I grapple with this 4x a year as I build my Library Journal Horror Review Column and try as hard as I can to have no more than 2 books by one publisher.

Well someone who thinks about this a lot and has turned it into an infographic that will force you to realize how much we are beholden to the Big 5 is Ali Almossawi who runs "The Critical Thinker."

Click here to see their infographic illustrating the Big 5's control on publishing. I promise you, even if you think you are ready to see this, you are not.

I, for one, am going to keep this graphic in mind more often as I go about my day to day work.

Please take a moment to look and absorb.

No comments: