RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Thursday, December 14, 2023

The Top Book and Library Stories of 2023 via AP and PW

I am preparing for my year in review annual program, the details of which will be announced here and with my partner on 12/27, but just know that it will be 100% free live on February 13, 2024 at 2pm Eastern, and, if you register, for 2 weeks after. Anyway, as always, I am collecting all of the year end reports, data, and essays to synthesize it all for you.

Two that caught my eye are this wrap up of the top publishing news stories from 2023 via the AP and PW's Top 10 Library Stories of 2023.

While none of the stories highlighted and summarized in either wrap up piece should be a surprise to any of you, seeing them all together, and in one place, is very helpful. And bonus, seeing some stories make both lists is key as well.

Remember, every year, I start the new year with an assessment of the year that just happened, a conscious and thoughtful looking back, both with myself and the larger library and book worlds. In fact, I am actively working on that post for 1/8/24 right now. I am a huge proponent of taking the time to look back at where we were before moving forward into a new year. Both the AP and PW pieces are part of that process.

Also, when you see all the major news from an entire year, focused on the industry we work in, from both a book world recourse and a general news resource, all in one place, it is easier to see the larger picture and make connections to our work with our very local populations.

Some times, those connections are not apparent immediately, and other times, some issues ring more true with one library or region of the country than others. But taking a few moments to read these year in review pieces is helpful. Again AP is here and PW, here.

I know I will be using them both to write up my personal assessment of the year that was and as I work on that larger webinar for all of you. Again, details 12/27 but save the date: February 13, 2024 at 2pm Eastern. I need that buffer into the new year to make sure all of the data is processed and released for 2023. 

No comments: