RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, October 2, 2024

Display Idea: Historical Fiction is Popular, Consider Displaying Titles That Are NOT Set During WWII

Look, we all know readers love Historical Fiction. There are many reasons why. The most common appeal factor for readers who seek out historical fiction is that it is a way to learn something about history while reading. These readers know their books are not the absolute truth, but they enjoy how they can immerse themselves in a real time and place and learn about it through a story.

I include myself in this. In fact, I go even further in understanding the personal appeal of Historical Fiction. For me, I most enjoy historical fiction that is set in times and places that I don't know much about already. As a Gen Xer, WWII is not one of those topics.

All of this is leading up to the fact that we know there is a glut of Historical Fiction about WWII. We know people like it, but I would argue that they would like other settings if they were available.

And I have proof. Kristin Hannah, the best selling Historical Fiction author right now, who has written MANY WWII set novels, has had one of the biggest books of the year in any genre-- The Women-- this year and it is set during....The Vietnam War.

One of my mantras about displays is: Promote the books patrons will not find on their own. When we remind people of the books we have that they did not know about, that is when our worth is noticed and appreciated.

In this vein, do we need lists and displays of Historical Fiction dominated by WWII titles? No. One or two are probably enough. And the titles you pick should be by a marginalized voices and not only on the topic of Japanese Internment-- which quite honestly is the only way we get "diverse titles" into the WWII category. (I suggest this and this

But, I digress. There are so many other times and places to promote and recently, the AARP had this post entitled-- "10 Historical Novels NOT Set During WWII." 

Steal this idea! Make your own online lists and displays using that title. Then make it interactive by asking your patrons to share their favorite Historical Fiction titles that are not set during WWII. [Reminder: use my conversation starter to display post to help you do this.]

Look, this is why I tell people to read about books every day. I was alerted to this list via recent Book Pulse from LJ. We need to know what our patrons are seeing about books out there in the non-book world. If AARP (which does an excellent job covering books here FYI) of out there proclaiming that people want Historical Fiction from other time periods, I am confident others will love it if you acknowledge this as well. 

Get those displays up. Any time you are looking for an idea, Historical Fiction is evergreen. And make it interactive. Ask your patrons to share their favs as well.

No comments: