Look we make time for reading because it is our job and even then, we often fail at making enough time. We also spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to put the correct book in each reader's hands, and yet, when is that last time we stopped to think about how and when they read (myself included)?
I frequently write about using conversations starters to have more meaningful conversations with our patrons about books and reading. Often I am using this concept as a means to the ends of creating more interactive and interesting displays. But, I have used the idea to help us engage our patrons in more general topics like when I had this post back in 2019," Ask Patrons What They Didn't Find and Then Actually Listen to Their Answers."
Today I was reminded by a book news story I have had filed away for a bit now and while it is interesting on its own, I did feel very called out by it-- called out in that it explodes a weakness in how I think about how we should and can best serve readers.
First things first. Here is the article from Vulture-- How 20 Well-Read People Make Time for Books
The answers to how they make time for books are as different as the people they ask. Now that part did not surprise me. What did surprise me is that I help match books with people every day and yet, I rarely ask them how they will read that specific book let alone how they make time for reading in general, and you know what? We all really should be thinking about that and asking people more often.
So today I am bringing that to all of you. Find a way to use my ideas for conversation starters to ask your patrons to share with you how they make time to read. Ask in the building, on social media, with a link on your website. When you have the answers find a fun, anonymous way to share them. Make info graphics. Have some fun with it.
But then also use what you learn to help craft your collections and RA service. How people are making time for reading often dictates what formats they read, the genres they choose, the feel of the books they are most drawn to, etc... We can't know how to help our readers if we don't ask. And asking is more than just finishing out what books they like to read and why.
And look, worst case scenario, you learn nothing from asking this question. BUT what you do gain is a connection with your patrons. You showed them that you care about them beyond the check out. You want to help enhance their reading life. You care about how they read not just what they read. This will Goa long way toward earning their good will, trust, and support.
You might not think you need that support now, but trust me, you will. The time to start building that support is before something happens, before you need it.
My idea, to ask them how they make time for reading, is a no lose activity. One that even the most grumpy admins can get behind.






No comments:
Post a Comment