RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Most Famous Book in Every State: Guest Post by Kim Stack

Today's post is courtesy of Kimberly Stack a former member of the BPL RA Dream Team who now works as a Collection Development Librarian with Baker and Taylor.

Thanks to Kim for passing this along. It is fun and thought provoking. It is also a good resource for my picky patrons who say they have already read everything we have.  Now I can print the map for them and say, "Why don't you read through all 50 States."  That will keep them busy for awhile. 

Here's Kim...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
The last time I saw Becky (at the ARRT Genre Study meeting) I mentioned that I was so very happy to have her blog about the list of reading for men that was posted in Esquire, a magazine that I have not seen for a very long time - nor would have thought to consult for Readers’ Advisory purposes. (And I knew immediately with whom I needed to share the list.) From time to time, others share items that book lovers enjoy with me. They know that I am not only a librarian, but an avid bibliophile whose day is not complete unless I have not only spent time reading, but spent time talking about books. Plus, I love to share some of these off-the-beaten-path lists.


I have a daughter who is a member of the U.S. Navy and is currently stationed in Japan. Over the years, I have met other shipmates and friends who are now scattered in other parts of the world. Many days I have been sent snippets of commentary about their reading and about finding books among other cultures in other places. Today’s fun find has been this list of the most famous books set in every state, sent to me by a former service member who is now a university student in Hawaii.  Please remember that these choices were based on fame - not on the “best” books set in every state.

This type of description is always fun because setting can be one of the appeal factors we talk to patrons about. What do you think? The comments I’ve seen based on this complained mightily that poor WA was saddled with Twilight. Do you think Pat Conroy should have elbowed out Sue Monk Kidd in SC? Or Eudora Welty instead of Faulkner in MS? Should Steinbeck be remembered for Cannery Row instead of East of Eden?



Most Famous Books Set In Every State_Larger
Click here to see a larger map

No comments: