RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

10 Rules of Basic RA Service Reminder

I have a lot of presentations and appearances happening this week and one thing I hammer home in every presentation is that everything I have to teach-- whether it is about genres, being actively anti-racist, book discussions, or just overall advice for working with leisure readers-- it all goes back to my most Basic 10 Rules of RA Service which you can always find here on a permanent page in the right gutter of the blog.

I cannot stress enough how if you know and understand these 10 Rules, you can handle any situation. I like to joke that while the rules themselves haven't changed very much over the years, the examples of how I apply them and how I present them have changed completely. However, it is only funny because it is true.

Much of my "wisdom" and most of what I say to people as I help them get through difficult situations is firmly rooted in this foundations. And honestly, if I cannot base my advice and training off of these foundational rules, then that is a sign that I have to alter or revise them; which I have a done a few times over the years.

So today's post is a reminder that those 10 Rules are always here [with more links] but also, I want you all to use this post as a general reminder that you have the skills to tackle new library challenges, conflict, and issues. When you have trouble with something or you are struggling to match books with readers, make a display, handle bigoted comments from patron, all of it...you can find the answer in your foundational knowledge. You may have to think about it and figure out how to adapt it to the current situation, [and you can always contact me for assistance], but it is there. You've got this.

If you feel like your own foundation is shaky, I am here with the 10 Rules to help, 24/7. Now off to help a library in VA plan their October Horror festival with my HWA Library Team.

No comments: