RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, September 29, 2021

Romance Resources and the Booklist Spotlight on Romance

Yesterday's rant here on the blog was inspired by the hubbub cause by this AWFUL article in The Cut which tried to give "sexy," romance readalikes for the new Sally Rooney novel but which refused to suggest actual romances, only other "literary" novels. Why? Because of everything I said from a more general perspective yesterday.

I had a draft-post with the Book Riot link I highlighted yesterday and used my rage at the Rooney readalike situation to finally write a post to go with the save link. I tried to rise above the [rightful] noise from the Romance world, knowing that some of you would tune me out if it was only about Romance. Because, as I said yesterday, our entire profession has an issue with being judgmental, elevating literary fiction above genre fiction, and specifically ignoring some of our most popular library genres [Romance and Thrillers in particular].

But today, I also wanted to shine a spotlight on Romance and luckily this is the month that Booklist is also spotlighting Romance, so I have some very up to date and useful resources for you.

However, I want to begin with a general comment. As a Horror expert, I fell great kinship with the Romance world because our genres are both based on how they make you feel, and this makes them both subject to disparaging comments. And, even worse, this attitude is widely accepted. So, please don't be one of those people. 

Okay, now on to Romance resources-- real Romance resources. In general my two favorite Romance resources are All About Romance which is great for reviews and heat levels, and Smart Bitches, Trashy Books which is just great overall. 

In general Booklist is always great for Romance information but of course when they turn a monthly Spotlight on the genre, as they did in the September 15th issue, there is even more content. And the timing is absolutely perfect in this case.

You can click here for free access to all of the articles, Romance Reviews and book lists in this issue or clicking the specific links below:

Now go suggest a "sexy" book to a Sally Rooney fan with confidence. 

No comments: