RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Wednesday, March 23, 2022

PLA 2022: Pre-conference Tuesday Report

Yesterday afternoon Robin Bradford, Alene Moroni, Alma Katsu [pre-recorded] and I presented a three hour pre-conference "Actively Anti-Racist Service to Leisure Readers."

Click here to go to the full PLA site

Only those who paid for the pre-conference are supposed to have access to the slides and handouts, but you know what, that is not inclusive. So below, I have our slides and the video interview I did with Alma Katsu:

And here is a short recap [w/ pictures] of how the day went and what each of us presented on for a little bit of context.

This was the first time Robin and I have done this program in person together, after many months of doing it virtually. And Alene is an old friend who we were so glad could join us and enhance our existing program.

The three of us before presenting. 

Robin began with her talk about ActivelyAnti-Racist Collection Development and I followed, as per our usual program on this topic, with my Actively Anti-Racist RA Service talk. After a short break, Alene provided actual examples of how she provides Actively Anti-Racist service at her library.


Robin presenting and Alene looking on

Our audience 

We then took 45 minutes of questions before allowing author Alma Katsu to have the final word, speaking about her new novel, The Fervor, writing from her Japanese-American perspective for the first time, and the rise of hate in our country [Katsu worked in American intelligence for many years]. 

Alma Katsu and Becky conversing on the big screen

We then ended the day by giving away 5 copies of Katsu's ARC courtesy of Putnam.

Katsu's novel on the podium.

Today, the conference proper begins and I will be back to report on what I learned tomorrow, but I hope what I have given you today can help some of you learn from afar.

1 comment:

Shelby G. said...

Thank you for making these slides available for all - I'm saving them to share with my coworkers. So appreciative!