RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement.

Monday, August 22, 2022

Materials Challenges and Your Library From the Trustee Table: New Presentation

Today I am debuting my presentation about why Library Trustees should not, and technically cannot, ban books.

I am hoping to give this presentation far and wide to as many library Trustees as possible, but first I need to test drive it.

Speaking of that test drive [at Noon Central today], you can find the details here and I believe the recording will be free to all at this link after the event as well.  This is all part of Wisconsin's annual Trustee Training Week where they offer an hour long webinar for trustees every day [M-F] from Noon to 1pm. I have presented for this event previously as well.

From that page:

Materials Challenges and Your Library from the Trustee Table 

Monday, August 22

Presenter:  Becky Spratford

Regardless of whether or not your library has had a request for reconsideration of library materials, the increase in challenges is dramatic, and quite frankly, upsetting. Becky Spratford, an expert in serving leisure readers through the public library with over 20 years of experience as a locally elected library trustee, Reaching Across Illinois Library System board member, and Illinois Library Association Executive Board member, will walk you through everything you need to do to prepare for a request to ban titles at your library. From the steps you need to take right now, to how to properly handle a challenge from your seat at the trustee table, Becky will help you to put the emotions aside and protect intellectual freedom.

Here is the link to my slides and here is the link to the handout I made of the links to make it easier for the Trustees to access more information .

If you are interested in having me come to your board meeting to present this, let me know. To keep the price down, I may consider providing you with recordings for them to watch and then simply charge you $100 for me to come to a Board meeting the answer questions live. You can always find my contact info by clicking on my logo.

But first, I need to see how it goes and make any changes after the fact.

Stay tuned.

No comments: