RA FOR ALL...THE ROAD SHOW!

I can come to your library, book club meeting, or conference to talk about how to help your readers find their next good read. Click here for more information including RA for All's EDI Statement and info about WHY I LOVE HORROR.

Thursday, April 16, 2015

Readers, Writers, Books, and Blogs Presentation

Today I am finally getting around to reposting Rebecca Vnuk ad Karen Kleckner Keefe’s presentation on the best blogs for RA librarians.

I love this program, and not just because Rebecca and Karen are some of my dearest library friends and not because I am listed twice [although those are very good reasons], but because it is the only place where we, the public library workers who help leisure readers each and every day, can go to find the most relevant blogs for us.

So much of the book-centric blog-o-sphere is publisher and book store centered. This presentation is led by library people for library people. And these women are straight shooters. If the blog is listed here it is because it is well done and useful.

Please use the link to watch the presentation AND make sure you save the handout because these are all sites you will use.

For the original post from Booklist Online, click here.
http://www.booklistonline.com/Readers-Writers-Books-and-Blogs-Vnuk-Rebecca/pid=7487297

Readers, Writers, Books, and Blogs.


Vnuk, Rebecca (author).

 
FEATURE.  First published April 13, 2015 (Booklist Online).
How to ReadWhile working on a “Library 2.0” initiative in 2008, I was shocked to find virtually no one on staff followed any library blogs. Karen Kleckner Keefe and I had just created the Shelf Renewal blog, and as we were getting the word out, we realized that not many librarians were investing their time following blogs. So we created a “virtual tour” of about 50 different library or book-related blogs, “Readers, Writers, Books, and Blogs.” We have presented this program at various library conferences over the past six years (we’ve dropped some blogs and added others), and the most recent update was videotaped at the RAILS offices here in Illinois. You can view the session on YouTube, and the handout appears below.

Readers, Writers, Books, and Blogs  
Presented by Karen Kleckner Keefe and Rebecca Vnuk for Booklistand RAILS, February 26, 2015.

General
The Booklist Reader: http://www.booklistreader.com 
Early Word: http://www.earlyword.com 
Library Reads: http://libraryreads.org 
Indiebound: http://www.indiebound.org 
Entertainment Weekly: http://www.ew.com/books 
Men Reading Books: http://menreadingbooks.blogspot.com 
No Shelf Required: http://www.libraries.wright.edu/noshelfrequired 
Book Riot: http://bookriot.com 
The Millions: http://www.themillions.com

Publishing 
GalleyCat: http://www.adweek.com/galleycat 
Nathan Bransford: http://blog.nathanbransford.com

Readers’ Advisory
RA for All: http://raforall.blogspot.com 
Reader’s Advisor Online: http://www.readersadvisoronline.com/blog 
Blogging for a Good Book: http://bfgb.wordpress.com 
Lesa’s Book Critiques: http://lesasbookcritiques.blogspot.com 

Genres

Romance and Women’s Fiction
Smart Bitches Trashy Books: http://www.smartbitchestrashybooks.com 
Liz and Lisa (formerly Chick Lit Is Not Dead): http://www.lizandlisa.com/blog
Smexy Books: http://smexybooks.com 

Historical Fiction
Reading the Past: http://readingthepast.blogspot.com 

Horror
RA for All: Horror: http://raforallhorror.blogspot.com 

Graphic Novels 
Comics Worth Reading: http://comicsworthreading.com 
No Flying, No Tights: http://noflyingnotights.com 

Mystery 
The Rap Sheet: http://therapsheet.blogspot.com 
Cozy Mystery List: http://www.cozy-mystery.com 
In Reference to Murder: http://inreferencetomurder.typepad.com 
Stop You’re Killing Me: http://www.stopyourekillingme.com 

Science Fiction, Fantasy, Paranormal
Wicked Lil Pixie: http://wickedlilpixie.com 
SF Signal: http://www.sfsignal.com 
Locus Online: http://www.locusmag.com 

YA
Forever Young Adult: http://www.foreveryoungadult.com 
Guys Lit Wire: http://guyslitwire.blogspot.com 
The Hub: http://www.yalsa.ala.org/thehub 

Overall Book Nerdery 
Kent District Library’s What’s Next: http://ww2.kdl.org/libcat/whatsnext.asp
ShelfAwareness:   http://www.shelf-awareness.com 
Flashlight Worthy: http://www.flashlightworthybooks.com 

Podcasts
That Stack of Books: http://www.thehouseofpodcasts.com/that-stack-of-books
NYTBR: http://www.nytimes.com/ref/books/books-podcast-archive.html
Bookworm: http://www.kcrw.com/news-culture/shows/bookworm 
Books on the Nightstand: http://booksonthenightstand.com 
New Yorker Fiction Podcast: http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner
Selected Shorts:   http://www.selectedshorts.org 
Slate’s Audio Book Club: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/the_audio_book_club.html 
Circulating Ideas: http://circulatingideas.com/ 

Tumblr
Master List: http://mashable.com/2014/03/13/tumblrs-for-readers 
Maud Newton: http://maudnewton.tumblr.com

2 comments:

Devi said...

I read this post on Digg Reader which I started using because of this presentation and because I needed a way to keep all these great blogs (most of which I hadn't been following, many I hadn't heard of) separate from he non-library ones so I could look at them at work. Wow, that was a long sentence!

That was a great presentation. Not only did they know their stuff, they loved it! It made me realize I'd been depending too much on journals for reviews and how much I've slipped in keeping up with what's popular and books outside of my personal and professional interests. I'm hoping to talk a bit about this presentation (and share the handout) at a staff meeting soon.

BV Lawson said...

Thanks very much for including my blog on your listing! I'm in very good company, as there are many fine blogs on your roster. My librarian-mother would also approve. ;-)